Monday, January 21, 2013

A new year and hopefully soon a new me!

I have been thinking about starting the couch to 5k program for quite some time now. 

I've never been a runner....
I've never really been an athlete....

So where to start?  Little did I know, that to start running... you don't just jump in and run!  Who knew?!

My fabulous cousin is a serious runner and had recommended the couch to 5k program, and my aunt successfully went through the program last year and ran the donor dash.  I'm hoping to be able to do the same this year and run as a donor family member, we'll see if I can be ready. 

This week was my 2nd week on the program.  The premise of the program is that you do alternate running and walking 3 days a week for 30 minutes each date gradually ramping up each week until by week 9 you are running the entire time.  I completely week 1 pretty easily, but came down with a minor illness at the beginning of  week 2.  It threw off my workouts, but didn't make me stop completely so I am proud of myself.  I do think I need to repeat week 2 this coming week as I'm just not comfortable enough since I wasn't feeling 100% myself this week to ramp up next week.  I do have about 5 extra weeks before the run, so hopefully after repeating week 2 this week I'll be ready to move on to week 3, but if not... I'll keep trying. 

I'm trying not to pressure myself on too many other changes right now, because I really want to focus on getting into the routine of working out at least 3 days per week.  The kids are so cute about it... they want to know when I am getting on the treadmill and Summer actually keeps track of which days I need to get on it and which days are my "break" days and reminds me.  They also really love getting water for me and their support is really helpful.

I've been trying out different times of the day and although I'm not one for getting up earlier... I am finding that I do better and feel better if I get up and do my workout before work.  It is really nice to have that 30 minutes to myself before anyone wakes up and I'm more likely to have a conflict at night that would make me miss a workout.

Wish me luck!  Now that I've made this public.... I am determined to continue.  I hope to make my kids, my husband and most of all my mom proud.  I want to represent her on at the Donor Dash for the lives she saved on the day that we had to let her go and she gave the ultimate gift to perfect strangers.... the gift of life.

And here is just a tiny plea from me..... make sure that your family is aware of your intentions about organ donations.  I know it is not ideal conversation material to tell the ones that you love that if something should happen to you that you want them to donate your organs.  Who wants to talk about those things?  However, the reality of the situation is that you never know when your last day will be and if it does come.... you likely won't be able to express your wishes at that time.  There are tons of people waiting for life saving organ transplants.  Wouldn't you want someone to choose to be a donor if you or a loved one needed it?? Why not do the same for them??

"Don't take your organs to heaven.... heaven knows we need them here"

No comments:

Post a Comment